Adaptive Yoga Teacher Training Program
making yoga accessible to people with limited mobility
Schaff Yoga Therapy’s Adaptive Yoga Teacher Training provides yoga instructors with a solid foundation to adapt classic yoga postures for students who are limited in movement because of age, illness, disability, or injury. We use chairs, the wall, straps, blankets, blocks, and gentle assists. This program is recognized by the national Arthritis Foundation as a treatment modality.
This course prepares you to:
- Understand basic anatomy and physiology as it relates to specific medical conditions.
- Modify classic yoga postures for people with physical impairments, ranging from neurological conditions (such as Parkinson’s and strokes) to arthritis, osteoporosis, spinal stenosis and other back conditions.
- Use breathing exercises and meditations to deepen your students’ experience.
- Structure classes so that students of any age, shape, size, ability, or disability may be able to participate and enjoy the yoga experience safely and comfortably.
Goals: At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Guide people living with physical limitations confidently and compassionately through a yoga experience that is both safe and satisfying.
- Be prepared to teach yoga in a variety of settings including independent and assisted-living facilities, nursing homes and hospitals.
This training program is appropriate for yoga teachers, physical and occupational therapists, nurses, and physicians, and for those interested in deepening their own personal practice. CEUs are available for nurses. Upon completion, certification is available for experienced 200+ certified yoga teachers.
Our next Adaptive Yoga Teacher Training Program will take place at Kripalu Center For Yoga & Health in August, from the 5th to the 10th. Space is limited to 24 participants. You will be able to sign up for this training program on Kripalu's website within the next month or two.
Please let us know if you would like more information about this training program.
Terry Roth Schaff Karen Abramson
C-IAYT Yoga Therapist & E-RYT Schaff Yoga Therapy's Admin. & RYT