programs adaptive yoga
Schaff Yoga Therapy’s Adaptive Yoga Teacher Training Program
making yoga accessible to people with limited mobility
Schaff Yoga Therapy’s 40- Hour Adaptive Yoga Teacher Training provides yoga instructors with a solid foundation to adapt classic yoga postures for students who are limited in movement because of age, illness, disability, or injury. We use chairs, the wall, straps, blankets, blocks, and gentle assists. This program is recognized by the national Arthritis Foundation as a treatment modality.
This course prepares you to:
- Understand basic anatomy and physiology as it relates to specific medical conditions.
- Modify classic yoga postures for people with physical impairments, ranging from neurological conditions (such as Parkinson’s and strokes) to arthritis, osteoporosis, spinal stenosis and other back conditions.
- Use breathing exercises and meditations to deepen your students’ experience.
- Structure classes so that students of any age, shape, size, ability, or disability may be able to participate and enjoy the yoga experience safely and comfortably.
Goals: At the end of this training program you will be able to:
- Guide people living with physical limitations confidently and compassionately through a yoga experience that is both safe and satisfying.
- Be prepared to teach yoga in a variety of settings including independent and assisted-living facilities, nursing homes and hospitals.
This training program is appropriate for yoga teachers, physical and occupational therapists, nurses, and physicians, and for those interested in deepening their own personal practice. CEUs are available for nurses. Upon completion certification is available for experienced 200+ certified yoga teachers.
Our next Adaptive Yoga Teacher Training Program will be held at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health in August 2018, from the 5th - 10th. Enrollment is limited to 24 participants.